Monday, March 14, 2011

My Law School Applications Personal Statement

Fairness is our bond and our contract. Perhaps never in the prior history of humankind has a society decreed that each individual, regardless of title or station, is dignified through an expectation and demand of an even regard. We live in a society wherein each person born into it has declared, agreed, and inscribed rights to fairness. That very same fairness is the concept upon which our entire system is based, upon which we each rely. With the continued practice of that concept, we remain a beacon in the world. The notions of justice, due process, fair accounting of each and every vote equally, and the very right to petition and redress grievances to our own government without fear of reprisal, all rest upon that same concept of fairness.
Yet, no matter how far we may believe we have progressed as a people, the most basic of human dignities are as much at threat today as ever they have been--- by the desires of oppressive and self-serving few, who effort to impose their illicit wills upon others. Reverence to the most basic of human dignities is not merely our freedom, it is our responsibility. We have a duty to uphold the hard-fought gains of generations of our forebears, who suffered so that we might enjoy, have opportunity, and know dignity. For when any one of our rights is violated, it is a call for help in an emergency to us all. It is our job as Americans and decent human beings to answer such cries. The alternative or any deviation from these principles is unacceptable. It is for that dignity I have fought, and continue to fight.
When I was in the military, I fought and succeeded in saving a fellow crewmember from being wrongly accused of a military crime, stemming from a situation in which he was nearly killed. He was going to be charged for his trouble, in effort to cover up the true cause. As such, that is not in my service record per se. After being hurt myself while in service, I later had to fight with the VA for more than a year for my disability rating. They ‘lost’ my entire medical record and my application for benefits, each at least twice. That rating stands currently at 40%. I also had to file appeals with the FAA when they were not going to license me as an aviator, for having had a stomach ulcer. I have worked in law enforcement and had a job that included checking legal documents for falsification, alteration, and regulatory compliance and applicability, all for the US Coast Guard. But those stories are all far too long for a few pages. Yet none of that is ‘my legal story’. Other than those stories, most of my extensive work, management and communication skill, cohesiveness, intellect, drive, devotion, integrity, persistence, and dedication can be extrapolated from a resume’, transcript, or service record.
To express my true interest in the legal profession, I present a letter that is a part of my legal story, and perhaps the most important legal battle of my life. This is the only one so far that I must deem to be more important than my very own life, because it could mean the saving or loss of many, many lives. The next three pages are an actual letter I recently submitted to the U.S. Department of Justice, concerning an actual legal situation in which I am a party currently, and have been for more than six years now. This letter should express my perseverance and the level of understating of legal concepts and procedures I have attained at least to this point. For me, the entire process has been humbling.
Due to the fact that this is still ongoing, I must ask that if there are any judges for the US Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana or the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on any admissions boards of law schools reading this letter, and that if my case or any related cases are before them or expected to be before their court(s), they use their professional discretion as to whether they read further. This is no attempt to make any sort of ex parte communication. Though I do not believe it would be ex parte, as I state no new claims bearing on my civil litigation, for arguments’ sake I convey my request to protect from any inadvertent contact. My only other request is you look beyond numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment